Expert Garbage Disposal Repair and Installation Services
Garbage disposal is convenient daily but can jam and quickly clog a kitchen sink drain. Nothing can be done to get your sink draining again until the trash disposal is replaced or repaired due to its inner workings and connectivity to the sink’s drainage system. Plunging the sink may bring temporary relief, but it is not a sustainable solution.
At Robs Appliance Plus, our trained experts offer professional commercial and residential garbage disposal unit repair services. We also provide installation and replacement services for garbage disposals. You don’t have to purchase your new disposal from Robs Appliance Plus; we can install it once we pick it up. Any model you want to purchase is welcome, and we’ll be pleased to install it.
Common Garbage Disposal Problem
Garbage disposals are convenient kitchen appliances that help to break down food waste and prevent it from clogging up your drains. However, like any appliance, they can experience various problems. Here are some common issues with garbage disposal:
- Clogs: One of the most frequent problems with garbage disposals is clogging. Certain foods like fibrous vegetables, potato peels, coffee grounds, and eggshells can block drainage or complete stoppage.
- Jamming: Garbage disposals can jam when foreign objects, such as silverware, small kitchen tools, or hard items like bones, accidentally fall into the disposal unit. That can cause the blades to stop moving, resulting in a humming sound when the disposal is turned on.
- Leaks: Leaking can occur from various points in the garbage disposal system, such as the sink flange, dishwasher connection, or the disposal unit itself. That can damage water and potentially cause mold growth under the sink.
- Foul odors: If food waste accumulates in the garbage disposal without proper cleaning, it can produce unpleasant odors that may spread to the kitchen.
- Dull blades: Regular garbage disposal or grinding of tough materials might cause the blades to become dull over time. Dull blades may be less effective at breaking down food waste, leading to clogs and jams.
To avoid or mitigate these problems, it’s essential to use garbage disposal properly and avoid putting unsuitable items down the drain. Regular cleaning and maintenance can also prolong the life and efficiency of your garbage disposal.
If you encounter any significant issues or are unsure how to address them, it’s best to contact a professional plumber or appliance repair service.
Signs To Know If Your Garbage Disposal Is Broken and Needs Repair
A broken garbage disposal can be a frustrating inconvenience in the kitchen. Here are some signs to help you identify if your garbage disposal is broken and needs repair:
- No Power or Sound: When you turn on the garbage disposal, if there is no noise or indication of power, it might not receive electrical power.
- Jams Frequently: If the garbage disposal frequently gets jammed, even after manually resetting it, it could indicate a mechanical issue. The blades may be dull or damaged, or something more serious may obstruct the grinding mechanism.
- Leaking: Puddles or signs of water leakage under the sink could indicate a broken or damaged seal in the disposal unit. A leak can lead to mold growth, so addressing this is crucial.
- Unpleasant Odors: Persistent stinky and smelly odors, even after cleaning the disposal, could suggest a clog in the pipes or a malfunction in the disposal system, preventing waste from being flushed out properly.
If you notice any of these signs, addressing the problem is essential. As for repairs, it’s advisable to consult an appliance repair technician like us at Robs Appliance Plus, who has experience handling garbage disposal units.
Why Choose Us?
At Robs Appliance Plus, we know the inconvenience and frustration that a broken garbage disposal may bring to your routine. We stand out as the best company for garbage disposal repair for several convincing reasons:
- Expertise and Experience: With years of experience in the appliance repair industry, our skilled technicians have encountered various garbage disposal issues. They possess the knowledge and expertise to diagnose problems accurately and provide practical solutions promptly.
- Prompt and Reliable Service: We understand that a broken garbage disposal can disrupt your daily routine and lead to unsanitary conditions. We prioritize prompt service to get your appliances back in working order quickly. You can rely on us to arrive on time and efficiently tackle the issue.
- Transparent Pricing: At Robs Appliance Plus, we believe in honest and upfront pricing. Our technicians will provide a detailed quote before commencing any repair work, ensuring you are fully informed.
- Comprehensive Appliance Services: As a full-service appliance repair company, we don’t limit ourselves to just garbage disposal repair. We have the expertise to handle various appliance issues, allowing you to rely on us for all appliance repair needs.
Tips for Avoiding Damage to a Garbage Disposal
Avoiding damage to a garbage disposal is crucial for maintaining its efficiency and longevity. Here are some useful tips to help you prevent damage and ensure your garbage disposal operates smoothly:
- Use cold water: Always run cold water while operating the garbage disposal and for a few seconds afterward. The cold water helps solidify greasy substances, preventing them from sticking to the disposal and clogging the drain.
- Cut items into smaller pieces: While the garbage disposal can handle many food scraps, it’s best to cut large items into smaller pieces before feeding them into the disposal. That reduces the risk of overloading the system and causing jams.
- No non-food items: Never put non-food items like glass, plastic, metal, or paper into the garbage disposal. These items can cause serious damage to the blades and motor.
- Avoid hard or fibrous materials: Tough materials like bones, fruit pits, coffee grounds, and fibrous vegetables (e.g., celery and onion skins) should not be put into disposal. They can dull the blades and clog the drain.
- Be cautious with starchy foods: Foods like pasta, rice, and potatoes can expand when exposed to water, potentially causing blockages in the disposal and drain.
Here are some frequently asked questions.
How can I unclog my jammed garbage disposal?
First, turn off the power for the disposal. Then, use a hex key (Allen wrench) to turn the disposal’s flywheel and loosen the clog manually. Call us at (615) 766-4485 if you need professional assistance.
Should I run cold or hot water when using the garbage disposal?
Cold water is best as it helps solidify greasy substances, making it easier for the disposal to grind them. Running hot water can melt fats and further clog down the drain.
Can I install a new garbage disposal myself?
Installing a new disposal requires some plumbing knowledge and tools. If you’re not confident in your abilities, having it professionally installed is safer to ensure it’s done correctly.
How much does it cost to repair garbage disposal?
The cost of repairs can vary depending on the issue and the professional service fees in your area. Simple fixes like resetting or unclogging might be affordable, while more complex repairs may require higher costs.
What can I do before calling for assistance if my garbage disposal malfunctions?
Determine whether the power has entirely broken in the areas close to your kitchen sink or whether only the garbage disposal is malfunctioning. If you have an older electrical box, try to reset the circuit breaker that powers the kitchen or switch out a fuse. Also, ensure the garbage disposal is plugged in under the sink if it produces no noise when the switch is turned on.
Are you tired of dealing with a malfunctioning garbage disposal unit causing unpleasant, stinky, smelly odors and disrupting your daily routine? Robs Appliance Plus is your go-to expert in garbage disposal repair! With our team of highly skilled technicians and years of experience in the industry, we are here to provide our customers with expert assistance for all their appliance repair needs. With our full one year warranty on diagnostics, labor, and most parts plus our 95% first call complete record, you will be amazed there is at least one company out there that treats you as well as you should be.
If you have any questions or want to know more information, please contact us at (615) 766-4485.
If you need to talk to someone about a more complex issue, let us know and we will have a technician or the owner Rob call you back between appointments.